Wild Rogue Wilderness
The Wild Rogue area is one of Oregon’s most pristine, scenic, and rugged landscapes. Located in Southern Oregon and nestled in the Siskiyou Mountain Range, the Wild Rogue area is home to the famous Rogue River. The area is one of the state’s premier recreational spots, attracting tens of thousands of visitors every year and contributing millions of dollars to the local economy. The Wild Rogue also provides important salmon and steelhead spawning and rearing habitat, providing the backbone for one of Oregon’s most important sport and commercial fisheries. Rogue River recreation accounts for 445 jobs and serves as an economic engine for a region that is transitioning into a more sustainable economy.
But the Wild Rogue is threatened.
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) had threatened to turn bulldozers and chainsaws loose in pristine old-growth forests in a portion of the Wild Rogue area called the Zane Grey Roadless Area. The BLM's reckless logging scheme, called the Kelsey-Whisky project, would have built new roads into the roadless area and allow loggers to clear-cut hundreds of acres of pristine wildlands. Fortunately we were successful in preventing this project from moving forward, for now.
That's why Oregon Wild is part of the Save the Wild Rogue Coalition, a diverse group of conservation organizations and recreation-based businesses working to a secure permanent protection for one of Oregon's wildest, most scenic, and most enjoyed landscapes. We're proposing approximately 58,000 acres of new Wilderness areas and 93 miles of new Wild and Scenic Rivers. This map (large pdf), created by Oregon Wild, shows the areas proposed for protection.
- For background on the fight to save the spectacular Wild Rogue/Zane Grey Roadless Area, explore this link.
- Read Backpacker Magazine's article on Zane Grey and the Bush administration's plan to log Oregon's heritage old-growth forests.
- Read the Eugene Weekly's cover story about the campaign to "Save the Wild Rogue".
- Proposed Wild Rogue Wilderness Elk Management Areas Map
- Proposed Wild Rogue Wilderness Steelhead and Salmon Habitat Map (USFS Data)